Thursday, February 23, 2012

Guest Post from Melon Heart

Hello, my name is Jacqueline and I write for Melon Heart! Allison and I decided to have a guest post swap some time ago, but we wanted to do something extra special. Together, she and I came up with a little challenge-- Five items, five ways (not including shoes or accessories) My favorite thing about blogs is seeing how different bloggers remix what they have in their closets into outfits that are fresh and new even when the clothes themselves aren't so new. It seemed like a daunting task at first, but when I laid my five items out on my bed, I arranged them like puzzle pieces, and it actually became lots of fun!

Now, lets pretend that I don't have a slight shopping addiction, and these are the only five things I have in my closet.


Clockwise, these items are 1. My favorite pair of golden delicious apple colored jeans. 2. A dress with a floral top/sweetheart neckline 3. A very flowy sailor looking top in mint green 4. An orange and cream butterfly/flower print skirt, and 5. A stretchy sort of top that I hadn't even worn since I was about 14

So, a few of these were like "challenge pieces" to me. The only thing here that I can say I wear often is the jeans. The first thing I wanted to transform however, was the dress.


Simple enough, but whenever I wear this dress, the top part is the hardest to pair with a cardigan. Not because cardigans in those colors don't exist, but because I don't own one and sometimes, you just cant find the right piece in the right color. Adding the top I chose changes the color scheme from blues, soft purples, and pinks to blues, whites, and greens. Next, I wondered if this greenish top would work well with the brighter colored skirt...


Well, apparently it does! I would have never paired these two together if I hadn't been challenged like this. I wanted to be braver though....


I was definitely the most proud of this combination. I turned the skirt into a tube top. In order to keep a feminine shape, I pinned the pockets together on the inside of the skirt, so it still hugs my waist a little bit, but I didn't damage my skirt with safety pins!


Here, the accessories played a big part in transforming this outfit. I had worn these two items together before, but I didn't want to have it look exactly the same. I paired it with the starfish barrette I made (Bobby pin+hot glue+starfish=barrette!) and a necklace I had originally thought could never work with this top.


This was another one that I though could never happen. You remember that dress right? Well here is it again! The full skirt is tucked into this pencil skirt. This is a great way to exercise your creativity! I'd find it especially useful if you travel a lot, or for long periods of time. After a certain point, you have no "new" outfits to wear on a long trip. Remixing your clothes in unexpected ways can keep things exciting. Just be sure to pack plenty of accessories, as they can really change the entire look. Luckily, they don't take up nearly as much room!

---------------------------------------------------

Check out my guest post on Melon Heart's blog - HERE


Thank you so much Jacqueline for this fun guest post opportunity! If any of you are interested in future guest posts, feel free to email me your ideas at ammcgin@gmail.com.

20 comments:

  1. those mustard jeans are so lovely! :) and i am going to have to make a beret like yours, so cute! :thanks for the inspiration.hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ali!
    This is the first time i step out you blog and i must say i love it!
    You have some amazing good taste for the post and the look.
    I also love the mustard jeans. Must get some looool

    Kisses and hugs from your reader and new follower
    Pri

    http://www.styledchicas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog

      Delete
  3. what a fun idea! and this turned out to be a great post! i love the different ways in which you used your clothes, especially the last one! great work!

    drop by allister bee soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was a truly great idea! it's so inspirational to see what you can do with only 5 pieces of clothing :) lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect clothes!! You look gorgeous:)
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! And I really like the skirt as a top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want some yellow jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the jeans/blouse combo - this is a great idea for shaking up our everyday outfits! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. she is so cute! great guest post!

    and your blog is so freeeeeakin' adorable. seriously.

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh I love the yellow/mint combination! Can I steal that : )

    Allison--yes let's please keep sponsoring each other next month! I like what you and Jacqueline have done for your guest posts. Maybe we can do something similar. About to go check out the post you did over at her blog : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :] I am so glad we can still sponsor each other, I would have totally understood though if you wanted to switch things up. I would love to do a guest post with you in the future, just let me know when you want to!

      Delete
  11. i love the first 2 outfits and I love the painting behind u too!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this post and it was such a great idea and definitely a lot different than normal guest posts that I've seen! I also never thought about packing lightly and just remixing my outfits when I take two week trips - I always have SO much crap to pack! I will consider this option next time.
    Heading to her blog to see your post.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I loved your outfit with the blue dress as the skirt (photo 2)!!! That's my fave as well. They were all very creative though! Great job, Allison. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Roni :] It was tough trying to come up with outfits that worked after the first two. It would be a great idea to do this while traveling though, I will have to keep it in mind at the end of next month.

      Delete
  13. This is such a brilliant idea! I absolutely love the "skirt turned into a tubetop" combination with the mustard jeans. I never thought about buying colorful jeans, but this post makes me want to try out new things :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I became a reader of your blog, I hope that u'll do it too;)
    Also i have a video blog (VLOG) and write posts about fashion, and so on. (my video blog is in russian)
    I will be glad to see you in my MUSE galaxy)

    with love, Polina
    www.polinamuse.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute outfits! I love the yellow pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice outfits and I love the Paris picture behind you!

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...