Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Toy Army Tuesday - Dunny's pt. 1


For today's Toy Army Tuesday, I decided it was about time to show you my slowly growing Dunny collection. I plan on breaking the collection up in to 3 posts mainly because I want extra time to show off my 2 - 8" Dunny's on a later date. Anywho, let's get started!!

MY COLLECTION: My current collection consists of 27 - 3" Dunny's, and 2 - 8" ones. My collection began Junior year of high school. While I was at Urban Outfitters I decided to buy a Dunny box on a whim. I knew nothing about them, they just looked cool. My first Dunny was the Series 3, 2006 - Tilt (She is in the photograph below blowing a bubble in her undies).

Fast forward to Spring 2011 when my collection became an addiction. My design class visited a local design firm for our senior trip, and guess what! The owner of the firm owned HUNDREDS of Dunny's (and other vinyl toys). My mouth dropped. I was in vinyl toy/ Dunny heaven. I needed to get my hands on more! (the design firm was also incredible - but that is another story). Since that day my collection went from 3 Dunny's to 29 over the course of year. Yikes! I did buy a chunk of them on Ebay (opened) to save money though - Dunny lots are the way to go.



A BIT ABOUT DUNNY'S: Dunny's are created by KidRobot - a vinyl toy superstore. According to their website Dunny's are "a curved bunny with a smooth face, DUNNY is a blank canvas designed to be repainted and reinterpreted by artists from many different backgrounds." What I love most about Dunny's (and all vinyl toys for that matter) is that artists are taking the same toy and reinterpreting them into beautiful and unique mini pieces of art.



The 3" Dunny's are fun because they are sold blind-box, meaning that you never know what you are going to get. Each box lists what you may get and the probability. Each Dunny series has a variety of Dunny creations and they range in rarity. You could receive a cute common one, or the rarest one of the bunch. I love the anticipation and surprise each time you open a box.

The first Dunny series was sold in 2004 and have had countless collections since then. To see all of the Dunny's ever created please check out the KidRobot page - HERE. As you can see my collection is only a small portion.

I could tell you about the various artists, series, etc. but I will save that for another day. In the mean time enjoy a bit of my collection :]



Happy Tuesday y'all! Do you own any Dunny's?
Also, how do you guys import your stories to a Facebook fan page??

31 comments:

  1. Wow this look so funky, but I can't say i've ever heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MAN. I have to make a post about my dunny collection so you can see! We have a lot of the same ones haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I would love to see your collection :]

      Delete
  3. I love the snowman! I follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is by Frank Kozik, one of my faves!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh! These are the cutest things ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to have a little dunny. i got a from a friend at work. it was a little guy with a top hat and a cane. i am not quite sure where he is, but i love him! these are so cute! and you have quite the collection!

    drop by allister bee soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. !! i love vinyl toys. absolutely adore them. i have a few collections started. your dunny collection is quite impressive and full of really neat ones too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :]Thank you. I am glad you collect vinyl toys too! What do you collect?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I wish I had much more #vinylgreedproblems. But I love them all :]

      Delete
  8. What are these?? I want one! Haha :) They're like super creepy bunnies! Too cute :)
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, super creepy bunnies in the best way possible :]

      Delete
  9. I have a friend that collects these - they're pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a pretty cool friend, haha. But really, they are so fun to collect!! :]

      Delete
  10. OMG I totally had a huge dunny collection. I was so addicted! Aren't they just so cool? I love the idea of opening the blind boxes. I had to sell all mine when I moved though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO! How sad. Thankfully they keep their value and are good to sell when need be. I am sorry you had to part with yours though.

      Delete
  11. I've seen Dunnys at UO. I think they're really cute and interesting. My favorites from your collection are: Tilt, the square headed one in the top pic, the Mexican looking ones in the 3rd pic and the suuuuper cute bunny/snowman combo (my number uno fave)!
    I like how you have this thing with being blindsided by the fun stuff you purchase. haha I hope your ModCloth package is as cool as these Dunnys. :)
    Also, where do you keep all these toy collections? My friend Kyle was a serious toy collector as well, and he had a spare bedroom just for them. They took up every square inch of the room! We (his friends) weren't even allowed in there, because we could "break something" and Lord knows everything in there was vintage or just plain worth the whole world to Kyle, so we didn't take any chances. But I'll never forget how many toys he had. Hundreds and hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunny/snowman one is by Frank Kozik, one of my all time favorite vinyl toy artists. My mom bought me that little guy for christmas this year. Kozik also designs BA gig posters for bands like the Misfits :]

      I do like surprises. Probably because I am not much of a rule breaker in any other area of my life.

      I keep my collection on a book shelf at the moment. I wish I had enough to fill a room with. I really need to invest in a glass case to store them and to keep them from dust. Your friend seems like he is way into it. I'd love to know what he has in his collection.

      Delete
  12. You have an awesome Dunny collection! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    I just have one Toki Doki Dunny.

    You can import your entries to FB with RSS graffiti.

    rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :] That is awesome! I love Toki Doki. I don't have the dunny, but I own a purse from them. I would have been awesome to buy the cool barbie with tattoos.

      Thank you so much!!!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, over the summer I caught such a great thing on sale! It was a little tokidoki box with eyeshadow and a toy charm, they accidentally gave me a double 70% discount, so I ended up paying just 3 bucks:)

      These are lovely by the way, I love the Laika:)

      Delete
    3. Wow!! That is so awesome. I am jealous :]

      Delete
  13. These are so cool, absolutely love that last one!
    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun thing to collect :) And your collections looks great! I especially like the "zombie" one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :] I really like him. I got him from my boyfriend for xmas.

      Delete
  15. I actually own 2 dunny's but none as colorful as these, you have a fabulous collection. One I own is a bit naughty, if you turn him over he has painted "bits".

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is cool that you own two though! Oh my! None of mine show their anatomy haha.

      Delete

Newer Older Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...