Sunday, March 18, 2012

Weekend recap

Hi all! I took a wee break from the blogging world the past few days. Friday my mom and I hit up a few of our favorite thrift stores. I didn't have much luck finding anything Friday, but it was still fun looking around. The man in front of us at check out was buying (I kid you not) 20 or more thermoses? Apparently he cuts trees down in Texas and they get really thirsty? I am not so sure his story checks out. You meet the most interesting people where I thrift. A lot of you seem surprised by the deals I find while thrifting so I thought I would give you a glimpse at two of my favorite stores. (I wish I could have snapped a shot of the thermos pile)

Thrift and Dollar

This is my go to spot for knick-knacks. Every day three price tag colors will be half off. On Friday it was yellow, orange, and pink. I really wish I would have snagged the E.T. He was only $2.45 after all. Unfortunately when I went back to pick him up some woman had already scooped him. Oh well, you snooze you lose.

Village Discount


This is where I go for most of my vintage clothes. The store is a bit dirty and semi-intimidating, but the prices are incredible. For example, check out that pretty blouse for only 90 cents. Guess what? It was only 45 cents! On major holidays everything in the store is half off. Yesterday they were having a half off sale throughout the store for St.Patty's day...needles to say I picked up a few items. I will share my finds on Thrifted Thursday later this week.

Now you all know some of my secrets. I don't shop at antique stores (often) because I like the challenge of finding vintage pieces at low prices at these thrift stores. I hate to spend more that $20 on any given thrift day. Anywho, I also saw 21 Jump Street with Brian on Friday, and I have to say - it was hilarious!!

Have a good rest of your weekend everyone!

33 comments:

  1. So sad that you missed out on ET he is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was kicking myself about it later. Haha, oh well. Wasn't meant to be.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a lot of fun! I love seeing inside other thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thrift stores I go to are not the prettiest, or cleanest, but they have some great finds :]

      Delete
  3. Love this post. I wish we had more large thrift stores, the one that I'm especially partial to is a bit small. I absolutely adore the E.T figurine, sorry to hear someone snatched it when you went back for it.

    <3Honeysuckelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lucked out with my town having so many. It is just so funny that she grabbed it because it was amongst the largest wall of knick knacks I had ever seen!

      Delete
  4. ~Thanks for sharing. I very much enjoyed this! That 45cent blouse is adorbs! I hope you grabbed it.
    ~I really like that doll for $15, too! Her outfit is lovely.
    ~The Texas tree cutter dude sounds strange...but awesome. ;) Hey, I get really thirsty too, but you don't see me carrying around 20 thermos..perhaps I should start.
    ~My husband wants to see 21 JS but I didn't know if it was going to be any good. Even though I never watched the tv show as a kid, I still love originals and get annoyed when they get remade over and over, but if you say it's funny then I suppose there's no reason to 'hate' on it. I'll tell Mikey we can go see it. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :] I am glad you liked checking these places out. I didn't buy it! I probably should have. It was an xl though so the only way it might have been manageable would be to wear it under a sweater of some sort.

      I really like that doll too! I wish it would have cost a bit less because I would have bought it, haha.

      Haha. I am assuming he has a team of people? I saw him the next day though at a local thrift shop and he had a trailer jam packed with junk...who knows what he is up to.

      I think the movie was hilarious, so I would say go for it. Don't watch the trailer though - it basically shows the whole movie in a less funny way. Oh an there is a fun surprise from the original show, just saying ;] I freaked out. haha.

      Delete
  5. 45 cents? That's amazing! I haven't had any thrifting luck in quite a while. Might need to give it another shot.


    P.S I’m hosting a give away… Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, great prices and great stuff! There's nothing that cheap in San Francisco :(

    http://thecharleygirl.com

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer. Yeah, I would imagine San Fran is pretty pricey.

      Delete
  7. I love thrift store shopping, looks like a great store :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 45 cents?!! seriously?! i wish we have thrift stores here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I am sorry you don't have any. They are wonderful.

      Delete
  9. How I wish our charity store where that cheap! Our salvos are ridiculously expensive around us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I am spoiled here. I go to Goodwill some times and get upset by how expensive it is. $2 for a coffee mug? No dice!

      Delete
  10. I love seeing where other people thrift! So sad you didn't grab E.T. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I wanna go thrifting with you! We don't have any places like this that I know of around Indianapolis. The closest thing to this is old lady garage sales ;) Those are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could go thrifting together! I love old lady garage sales, tehehe. Thankfully garage sale season is closely approaching :]

      Delete
  12. Ooh I want a pretty blouse like that! I have never been thrifting! I really could not be bothered sifting through racks of clothes, I am far too impatient. Perhaps you will take me one day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to take you thrifting! :] I love digging through heaps of stuff to find the hidden gems. I suppose it takes a bit of time getting used to though.

      Delete
  13. I can't believe you find thrift finds for under a dollar! Every place around me is at least $4 and most things are lots more. Excited to see all your finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These stores are pretty special. I am a bit spoiled when it comes to my thrifting. Thankfully not a lot of people have discovered them yet :]

      Delete
  14. I too would rather dig through thrift stores in sketchy places and pay cents. It's a rare occasion that I spend more than cents to a buck on one item. But unlike you, I will not share my secrets... tehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I am so with you on that! It is probably for the best not to share them. I am just hoping my readers don't live in the area, tehehe.

      Delete
  15. Those prices are amazing! Jealousssss!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw man! I would love to shop there! We only have 2 Goodwill's in my town so sometimes I have to drive 30 minutes away to this church thrift shop that is super cheap. Hmm, maybe I'll go today since it's a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete

Newer Older Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...